Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Revolution

This is a link to an interesting post about change in education. The premise of the article is a comparison between the symbolic action of dumping tea in Boston Harbor prior to the American Revolution and throwing something out the window to symbolize the change necessary in education. What would you throw out the window to start the revolution?

I've thought quite a bit about that question and I can't seem to come up with a good analogy. The clock came up in the article because learning has become a 24/7 event. Students can get on a computer at any time of day and learn virtually anything they choose to study. Having students sitting in a classroom for a prescribed number of minutes seems to be restrictive. We should be offering students opportunities to expand their knowledge in methods that work for them.

As well as the clock works as a symbol for the change that is needed in education, I have a sense there is something else, although I can't quite put my finger on it. So I ask you again, what would you throw out the window?

No comments: