Thursday, January 08, 2009

Giving and Service

It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. - Einstein

As I read this quote, I thought of the term Service. If we all followed Mr. Einstein's advice (or admonition), the world would be a much better place. It reminds me of the current struggle in the economy, with all the failures in the market, and the reasons behind those failures. It seems to me that service and giving back have taken a back seat to making more money at any cost. This ties in nicely to many of the gratitude pieces I've read over the years. If we continue to give more than we get, we'll actually increase what we get. It certainly seems we would all be better off if this advice was followed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that giving back is essential in a vital community. Whether it be at home, church, or in your community, everyone should become more involved. It doesn't take a lot to do so. Volunteer to read a book to a child or a senior, help a neighbor, buy someone a cup of coffee, join a church or club. All those small things add up to something big, which is something wonderful. I like this quote from George Bernard Shaw-" I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live."

Dave Barker said...

I agree that giving does not have to be big. All of the small things we do for others add up. I do like the quote.