Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What's the Benefit?

As I was looking through some notes from the NNER (National Network for Educational Renewal) conference this past summer, I came across a small note on which was written, "Ask the Q: How does/did it benefit me/us?"  I began to think about that a little and it brought me back to many of the professional development activities in which I have participated over the years. I recall many times hearing other participants say they got nothing out of a certain presentation or activity. Maybe it is being overly optimistic, but I have always felt that I could get something worthwhile, however small it may be, out of such activities. 

The note I uncovered reminded me to look at all situations and ask myself how it can benefit me or my organization through gaining new knowledge or skills. To rephrase that question a bit, we might continually ask ourselves, "what positive information, learning or knowledge can I take from this?" whenever we are in a workshop, training, presentation, or any situation for that matter.

No comments: